Slayer rocker Jeff Hanneman's official cause of death has been listed as alcohol-related liver scarring.
The guitarist passed away in a Los Angeles hospital on May 2 at age 49, and now it has emerged he succumbed to alcohol-related cirrhosis, or an irreversible scarring of the liver. In a post on Slayer's official website, Hanneman's devastated bandmates admit they were unaware of "the true extent" of his liver problems until their pal was facing death.
The statement reads, "We've just learned that the official cause of Jeff's death was alcohol related cirrhosis. While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being [after a spider bite in 2011], Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life."
The band goes on to refute rumors Hanneman was set to undergo an operation to help relieve his condition, and insist he was optimistic about making new music. Slayer add, "Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving -- he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."
This is how you find out about narrow minded, ignorant self righteous people. Just gotta trash another person that had problems. Nobody knows what it was like to live his life...only he did.
Trashing Jeff is just a waste of energy and certainly not doing any good for his friends and family.
Rock Stars have a lot of temptation around them all the time.
Not sure I could hold up under similar circumstances.
All you trash talkers - keep this in mind. Tylenol or acetaminophen, sold over the counter, is also in a lot of prescription pain meds. Combining that with alcohol is deadly. It may not take much in combination to destroy your liver. People do not read lables and sometimes Drs do not emphasize that bad combination. Yes, Jeff drank. It also stands to reason he had taken a lot of pain meds. Perhaps he did not take the dangers seriously. I know so many people who will take a Tylenol for a headache and go out with friends drinking.
I know several of his close friends. He was a stand up and brilliant guy. It is a terrible loss.