Breakout British band plans 15-city circuit to follow sophomore album
NEW YORK -- Following the November release of their second full-length album, "Ceremonials," Florence + the Machine have unveiled a spring concert tour that will take them to 15 U.S. cities. The circuit, presented by MSN, begins April 14 in Santa Barbara and will include stops at the Coachella Festival, New York's fabled Radio City Music Hall and the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Details for the tour were announced by the band's record label, Universal Republic.
Learn more on the MSN blog: Florence + the Machine Tour
Led by singer-songwriter Florence Welch, Florence + the Machine have built an international audience on the strength of their 2009 full-length debut, "Lungs," which went on to reap multiplatinum sales as well as a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist, an MTV Video of the Year Award, and high-profile performances on the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, the Grammys and the Academy Awards. With a rotating cast of band members over recent years, Welch remains the driving force and visual focal point, as dramatized by her solo TV appearances.
The group's 2011 concert appearances included high-profile U.S. shows at the Bonnaroo Festival, SummerStage and the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles.
Produced at Abbey Road Studios by Paul Epworth (who helmed Adele's "21"), "Ceremonials" reflected the group's evolving lineup and style. Released Nov. 1, it debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard album chart, where it remains in the top 10. Critical kudos have included rave reviews from Rolling Stone, US Magazine and other national publications, as well as inclusion on numerous top 10 album lists for 2011, including Time, Entertainment Weekly and People.
"As our goal is to 'keep you in the know' about what's happening in your world, supporting the tour is a natural fit," said Rob Bennett, director of partner and network programming for MSN, on the Web portal's involvement.
In addition to the upcoming tour's kickoff at the Santa Barbara Bowl, Florence + the Machine will appear both weekends during the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival (April 15 and 22), New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (May 3) and Radio City Music Hall (May 8).
Venues and dates for the Florence + the Machine tour are:
* Saturday, April 14 Santa Barbara, Calif., Santa Barbara Bowl
* Sunday, April 15 Indio, Calif. Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival
* Tuesday, April 17 Reno, Nev. Grand Sierra Resort
* Wednesday, April 18 Davis, Calif. Mondavi Center UC Davis
* Friday, April 20 Phoenix Comerica Theatre
* Saturday, April 21 Las Vegas The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
* Sunday, April 22 Indio, Calif. Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival
* Friday, April 27 Minneapolis State Theater
* Saturday, April 28 Milwaukee Eagles Ballroom
* Sunday, April 29 St. Louis Peabody Opera House
* Tuesday, May 1 Dallas Palladium Ballroom
* Wednesday, May 2 Houston Verizon Wireless Theatre
* Thursday, May 3 New Orleans Fair Grounds Race Course
* Tuesday, May 8 New York Radio City Music Hall
* Friday, May 11 Uncasville, Conn. Mohegan Sun Arena
* Saturday, May 12 Atlantic City, N.J. Borgata Event Center